Monday, November 5, 2012

New trailer, new hope for BSG's Blood & Chrome

I wrote my first impressions of the teaser trailer for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome over half a year ago.  I was breathless when I watched it the first time, ecstatic when I watched it the second time, and I would watch it every couple of weeks for the first few months after it was released because I was just so gosh darned excited!

And now there's this:


A new trailer was released today!  And what's more?  The series will air in ten 7-12 minute episodes on Machinima Prime starting this Friday, November 9!

Machinima Prime is a YouTube channel belonging to Machinima, which is an online video entertainment network featuring episodic series (as in TV shows, but not on TV) in many genres.  Blood & Chrome is produced by Universal Cable Productions, a division of NBCUniversal that also produces Psych, Covert Affairs, AlphasWarehouse 13, and other series for USA and Syfy channels.

Writer for i09, Charlie Jane Anders views Blood & Chrome's status as a webseries as a demotion, but I think of it as an opportunity.  Syfy has time and time again cancelled some promising shows because the ratings weren't competing well enough against pro wrestling (like my darling Caprica, or Fox and Firefly).  In an online format, Blood & Chrome has the chance to thrive thanks to a devoted audience that can watch the show whenever and however many times they want to.

Still not convinced that a webseries can be successful?  There are plans to release the entire series as a movie on Syfy a few months down the road, then in DVD and Blu-ray format.

No comments: